Smiling is something we do so often that we don’t really think about it. But did you know that a smile is not only a very powerful way of communicating our feelings it can also have genuine health benefits? We all know how great it feels when someone smiles at us – it can cheer us up on a miserable day, help us to relax in a stressful situation or, if we’re lucky, make us go weak at the knees! Smiling at others is great for your health too – releasing feel-good chemicals in the brain, reducing stress and lowering your heart rate and blood pressure. As if these aren’t enough good reasons to flash those pearly whites, smiling has also been found to make you appear more attractive and trustworthy!
Of course, maintaining good oral health and taking care of your teeth are key to having the confidence to smile. The Oral Health Foundation’s annual National Smile Month, which runs from 15th May to 15th June, aims to improve oral health in the UK and beyond by reminding us of what we can do to keep our smiles in tip top condition.
The three main messages that the campaign wants to highlight are the importance of:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, once in the morning and again at night before you go to bed.
- Reducing the amount of sugary food and drink that you consume as the sugars increase acidity in the mouth which leads to enamel erosion.
- Attending regular check-ups with your dentist to monitor your dental health and identify potential problems before they get worse.
Making sure that you do these basic things can go a long way towards keeping your teeth and gums healthy but what can you do if you already have dental problems that affect your confidence to smile?
Our Range of Treatments
When it comes to our looks, many of us have something that we’re self conscious of but for people who are worried about the appearance of their teeth, cosmetic dentistry can provide great solutions. Whether it’s chipped, stained, crowded, crooked or missing teeth we have a variety of dental treatments to transform your smile.
- Dental implants – a more permanent solution than dentures, these are inserted into the jaw bone and replacement teeth are attached.
- Crowns – false fittings used to cover broken or damaged teeth which can also be affixed to dental implants.
- Dental bridges – these false teeth do what you’d expect from the name in that they ‘bridge’ the gap created by missing teeth.
- White fillings – Again, pretty self-explanatory – a great way to disguise those fillings and laugh with confidence.
- Veneers – all the best Hollywood smiles come courtesy of these thin porcelain covers that hide a multitude of flaws.
- Tooth whitening – a really popular treatment in recent years that is guaranteed to brighten that smile.
Whether you just want to repair a small chip or a full-on dental makeover is what you’re after, we have a range of services to suit your needs and budget. So, why not get in touch and let us help you spread a bit of cheer with the perfect smile?